Surf photography like no other - Joni Sternbach

Daniel, Rincon, 2010
Still no surfing for me so I have been entertaining myself with yoga, surf checks and revisiting old favourites, like surf photographer Joni Sternbach.

The sports doc suggested I try some yoga so I trotted off and did five classes in one week. Loving it sick! One of the yoga studios is in the middle of a bush block and is the picture of om-shanti-shanti. I was stoked not by my mindfulness or flexibility but by managing significant eye contact with a hot surfer whilst we were both hanging upside down in ropes. Taking flirting to a new level. Awesome!

Tripoli, Ditch Plains, 2007
The surf was pretty bloody good over the weekend so I did a Bells Beach carpark (aka a sausage forest hotspot) drive-by to watch the action. Yep, all kinds of action. Yew!

But, back to Joni.

Minnie & Lulu, Ditch Plains, 2006
I love her work.

She uses an historic photographic method called wet-plate collodion process. It involves a large format camera and processing and developing the one-of-a-kind images on the spot.

I love these images because of their anthropological quality, their beauty and she says the collodion process is spontaneous and unpredictable. A bit like surfing really.

Los caballeros de las olas, Santa Barbara, 2013




Comments

  1. Hey Gill,

    How does one get in contact with you? I love your writing, very entertaining! Would love to chat about having you contribute to Sea Stoke if you would be keen.

    Hope shoulder is on the mend! Have a good one.

    Cheers,
    Leticia
    leticia@seastoke.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Leticia! So stoked you're digging the blog.
    I sent you an email yesterday so hopefully hear from you soon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts