Surfing sharky waters


Only a couple of guys went back in after the 'sighting'

A few weeks back it was the perfect winter forecast - all down the coast it was pumping and we were a'froffin' to get out there.

It had been about a month since my last surf so it took yonks to get out the back and my spaghetti arms had no power. Finally I settled on the shoulder watching about 15 dudes (and a few Baberahams) and was wondering if I remembered how to try to get a wave.

Imagine my surprise when all of them went in on one giant party wave. I was sitting there thinking 'that's kinda weird' and thinking at least now was my chance when a longboarder sitting a bit down for me shouted 'oi!' and pointed towards the shore. I figured that was a cue to go in and then halfway in realised someone must've seen something.

The surfer who saw 'something' and had 'something' tug his legrope made like the Roadrunner and took off, burning rubber in the carpark (last time I checked sharks can't chase you into the carpark). Everyone stood around discussing what happened and had a little rest on the grassy knoll. Eventually most of them went back in. Not me.

Contemplating going back in

Maddog paddled back in scoffed at us and said 'there's no bloody sharks, you drongo!' swapped boards and took off again. D-bum and I were not so keen on being called a drongo. But we decided that since surfing was about fun if we went back in we certainly weren't going to have fun. I would've been constantly looking in the water wondering if there were any sharky friends wanting a nibble.

Surfvan heaven
So I drove 3 hours for 30 minutes in the water but at least there was a bunch of surfvans and I can tick first 'shark issue' off the grommet list.

And.... we're out

Comments

Popular Posts