Tumble Outta Bed and Stumble to the Kitchen


It’s been a big week for this do-raggedy lady. 

I started my new job on Monday and for some strange reason I didn’t feel any nerves. I had this gut feeling that this office was going to treat me right. So with high hopes and a well-considered outfit (minus the do-rag – I felt like I couldn’t get all up in their grill on the first day), I turned up to the office and pretty much immediately felt as useless as tits on a bull.

Everyone was friendly and I was given a thorough intro into what books I’ll be responsible for but then I was pretty much left to my own devices. In the office you could hear a pin drop, an office environment I was completely alien to. I’ve always had to share an open space with designers, and as they’re a noisy lot, there’s always been conversations and cups of tea going on but not in this cone of silence. Eek. Intimidated was not the word I was feeling. More like ‘WTF am I doing here?!’

So at the end of day one I left feeling kind of deflated and my lil’ ego had taken a beating… and I wasn’t really sure why. I guess in my daydreaming I had a ridiculous notion that I’d be on the blower to Germaine Greer. ‘Hey, Gez, your main girl, Gizzle here. How’s tricks?’ Yeah, right.

On the morning of day two I realised that I had to perk up, strap on my favourite do-rag and turn up to work full o’ beans. And over the week everything has become progressively better and better and better. For one thing, every single lady in my department is stupidly smart. I feel so stimulated I can practically hear my brain cells multiplying.

These ladies are so eloquent and utilise their vocabularies. I don’t feel hugely out of my depth, just tip-toeing along the edge of my comfort zone. I’m learning new words every day and continuously making a mental note to myself to use the vocabulary I have filed somewhere in my brain and maybe not use ‘cool’, ‘amazing’ and ‘great’ so much (not to mention the f-bombs and ‘dude’s I drop on a far too regular basis).


Amongst all of this new adjustment I’ve taken it upon myself to continue freelancing as much as possible. Right now, like Dolly herself, I’m literally up to my pussybow in work. Pulling 12-hour days and tackling doing my masters assignments as well. And I LOVE it! I realise I always thought I knew what hard work was but not until this week have I actually been copping it in the face. 

As they say money brings more money, I think work breeds work… as in, the more work you do, the more you want to do. I feel like I’ve got onset adult ADHD right now. And it’s totally fucking awesome, dude! 

Comments

  1. Cool, amazing and great... all at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done not without my do rag!! and with a Dolly as a mentor, you are well on your way!!
    woohoo!xxAC

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts