First Base x Ames Collective = RADICAL SKATEBOARDS

Tex, Ali & Youngy - in no particular order - a crew of baaabezzz
There are lots and lots of things I love about surfing. (Obvs) 

But one of my fave things (besides flurfing) are the rad lady surfers I've met along the way who are surfing their arses off and making a business out of their love for it, too. Hi--freakin'-fives!


First Base and Ames Collective are two such ladies who are awesome - and they've joined forces to produce some sweeto skateboards. Yeewwww!!




FIRST BASE X AMES COLLECTIVE from First Base on Vimeo.

Here's a little email chat I had with Tess of Ames Collective about her Soul Decks boards... 


1. Soul Decks – such a rad name! How did you start crafting decks? 

Mahalo sista! Bit of a serendipitous story actually. I actually cracked the Sector 9 I'd had for 15 years right down the middle. I was heading to Noosa that weekend for my best friend's 30th and had bought her this rad little cruiser but I just wished I could make it more personal. We grew up skating the beach car parks of Margaret River together, so it was a pretty symbolic gift for us. The next day, together with her awesome fiance, we gave shaping our own decks a shot. The dream organically grew from there really. The first few prototypes sucked, but it was one of the funnest trial and error journeys I've had. Now I have my shapes, and my art down to a fine craft. But every day I am learning - and the universe just happens to provide me with these awesome people that are willing to share tools and tips as I go. 

2. There’s three kinds of boards available – tell me all about them!

Right, so! All the boards are traditional California Cruiser style, aka there is no kick in site up in here! These boards are not designed for the half pipe - unless you are some sort of a 'Lords of Dogtown' legend. They are designed for riding the pavement. 

Let's start with the smallest board, the Cruiser. This one is good for the intermediate street skater. You can learn on this one but it's a fast board and I tend to have the trucks fairly loose so you can really hit the curves hard. 

The Fish decks are a little easier, you get a bit more control because of the width of the board. It is still a super fast board, but not quite as agile. 


Onto the Longboard, the traditional mellow board. These are awesome for learning on. The chance of you falling off this one is pretty low unless you decide to bomb some hills. It is a bit more fluid meaning it will cruise wider and slower - better for winding down the streets. 



3. How did you hook-up with The First Base crew? 


I believe we stumbled across each other on instagram and started chatting. The first phone call with Ali was kind of like coming home to warm banana pancakes. She's the kind of gal who makes you feel like you've been best friends for 15 years. 
She is just a whole tote bag FULL of good times, good vibes and unwavering support. 

Our brands are synonymous. We both want to reach out to the chicks who love basics. 

Enough of the bullshit, you know? 

Life is here to live and to have a rad time, so let's just throw some insanely stylish threads on and grab a skatey or a board, and be done with it. 


4. Where’s your favourite surf spot and what’s your board of choice at the mo? 

Surfing, for me, has been a luxury the last few years. But that is all about to change since I am doing this gig full time - what a blessing! The rare and spare few moments I have had lately have been directly out the front of my place in Currumbin. I've taken the map and the SUP out a few times over the past few weeks and there is just a really good bank out there. I love a good beachy!! 

Board of choice is always a Mal or a Fish. I'm not really that into short whip surfing, it's harder to get good at and it's just not as cruisy. I like to mix things up, like catch a few waves and then meditate on my board out the back of the line up. When a good storm is rolling in, the horizon gets grey and the water turns this crystal clear turquoise - utopia! 


5. What’s your advice for a lady who might be thinking about grabbing a board (surf or skate) and having a crack? 

Oh sista, we all have those inner struggles with not being good enough and not wanting to fail. But no one ever achieved greatness by sitting on their ass and hanging in the comfort zone. You will fall, you will bleed, you will choke on salt water and probably a bit of bitumen too. You'll probably hit the point where you want to ditch your board or deck at a wall and be done with it - but that's where the magic happens. 

You gotsta push past the point of complacency and strive for the pockets of INSANITY. 

Plus wouldn't you rather laugh? HELL YES. 

Tex - caliente!!
6. And finally ... you’re taking the leap and making Soul Decks your full-time gig. Amazing! What are some words of wisdom to anyone out there who might be pondering doing something similar? 

Where there is light there is dark, where there are dreams there are also fears, where there is success there are also awakenings. I haven't ever really been afraid of trying things. I was lucky enough to be raised in an overly supportive and encouraging environment of love. 

The world is full of awesomeness to fully embrace, and dreams to involve ourselves in, so why not give it a crack! If you believe in your dream beyond anything else, and have a strong spiritual intent behind what you are trying to do, then how can you NOT make a difference in the world. 

I want to help people understand that no dream is too big - if you had told me at any stage in the last 10 years that I would be quitting my job in the wonderful world of resort marketing, to make skateboards and live the dream, I would have said exactly this; 'whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat??? You're crazayyy!'. But c'est la vie and oh what a beautiful life! 

 (Yep, the last two questions are a tad Oprah, but I love advice from peeps who are out there kicking goals) - oh preaching to the choir here my love!)

Comments

Popular Posts