Inspirational gays? I've got it covered.



The year of ‘born again in 2010’ began with me sitting down wearing an extra big do-rag and making a list of a bunch of goals and resolutions. One of them was to go and see ‘more stuff’. So, I’ve been all over it like butter on toast and it’s only April and I’ve seen my top 5 favourite artists (who also happen to be gay): David Sedaris, Gilbert & George, John Waters and Peaches. And, I know Peaches isn’t gay as such but her lyrics always allude to her liking the lady-love as much as the manly kind. Plus, I’ve always had a lady crush on her.


Anyway, I’ve always wondered what it would be like if you could just be an artist with no compromise of working for the man. It’s pretty hard to do these days living in the big smoke. I know David Sedaris had some strange jobs before he got a writing gig but he’s been writing solidly now for 20 years or so, travelling the world and touching monkeys. 


We all know Peaches was a teacher before she taught us the teaches of Peaches. Now she’s been a crazy bird for ten years or more based in Berlin and cavorting on stages everywhere with giant inflatable penises.


But, it’s Gilbert & George and John Waters that really blow my mind. They’ve been doing whatever they damn well pleased since before I was born and have made the most amazing life out of it and given us so much (and really educated me as an 18 year old in Darwin with a whole new world of art and sex and beat boys and drag queens that I didn’t know existed.)


After seeing all of these artists I felt completely buzzed out on their energy and eloquence and genius of comedic timing. I sat there captivated listening to these guys talk about their art and lives and inspiration for more than an hour. And slapping both of my thighs and cackling like a witch at their jokes. 

Now I’m about to start my new job in a week and will be back in an office working for the man. I don’t think I would be good if I was left to my own devices as my idols have been. For one thing, they are all geniuses and I am not. I’d probably end up knitting jumpers for dogs and taking photos of my feet (Damn. I’ve done both of those already). Plus, I love my job. And this new one seems like a perfect fit.



Comments

  1. Loving the blog gf. Everyone can take inspiration from a genius gay man. As for you - insight, doo rags and you write like a dream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That opening line about you and the extra big do-rag is genius, Gill. So droll, I love it.

    I saw this picture of Karen Elson and totally thought of you. I mean, she looks like ya:

    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ypS3mHulk1w/S7eOZ_nOm5I/AAAAAAAAHA4/EL8KpeN3a-8/s1600/00140m.jpg

    I am loving the sound of this new job.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dopps - I can't believe you put me and Karen Elson in the same sentence. Woah! Love it.

    I start my new job on Monday. Now deciding what the hell to wear. Arrrgh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've said it once and I'll say it again. . . Peaches is a gay man. Now thats inspirational yeah!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts