The Endless Search is over

Watching and hoping in Noosa National Park
It's good to be home. After two weeks away at Noosa and Byron Bay searching for a wave every day and trying not to feel frustrated at the lack of swell and onshore winds, today I woke up in my soft cloudy bed, cruised on down to Urquharts Bluff and was met with glassy 2ft peelers. Yew!

What I've been searching for the past few weeks has been in my backyard all along.

Made me think of this book I found at the holiday house in Byron - Surfing Fundamentals written in 1978. Besides some hilarious tips, 'if you have olive skin you are naturally protected from the sun, so don't worry about sunscreen', there was this bit about the endless search which will be my mantra for 2014. Relaxed and happy in the waves. Relaxed and happpppy.



Something that is also going to change in 2014 is describing myself as a 'rubbish surfer'. It's time to drop it. There's no need to qualify my ability to every surfer I meet - no one I've ever chatted to leaps in with a description of their surfing prowess so neither should I.

Next surfer I meet (preferably with long flowing salty locks, a beard, crows feet and a twinkle in his eye - you can't swing a bikini top without hitting one in Byron. Be still my beating heart!) I'll say, 'I like surfing. You like surfing too? Well, fancy that!'

Fun times at Urquharts

Comments

Popular Posts