No Man + No Mortgage = No Worries



I’ve just been in Tasmania for a 5-day road trip consisting of op shopping, decadent food and early nights. I went with two of my closest friends who I’ve known since I was a film school girl in the 90s (and a typical moody, scowly one at that). We had such a relaxing time even though I managed to give myself rack rummaging R.S.I. I seriously have a sore wrist from flicking through racks of smelly clothes trying to find knits, men’s shirts and high-waisted trousers (scored on all 3 counts. Woop!).



For most of the trip we were talking about the men who have been in our lives and the mythical men we would like to meet. I can’t divulge what these mythical men's attributes would be as the conversations took place in the ‘circle of trust’, but if you know me, you’ll have a fair idea of what is in my top 5.



At the end of the trip I felt a little depressed that we’d spent most of the time talking about men (or the lack thereof). We are interesting ladies who read loads, travel loads and have interesting things going on, so why do we always end up talking about dudes? Sometimes I hate the headspace it takes up. Surely single dudes don’t sit around talking about what their perfect girlfriend would be like and dissecting every last breath of a past relationship?

And we all know that being in a relationship brings with it a whole new world of frustrations and angst along with the benefit of being able to spoon someone every night, potentially share the rent and occasionally not have to pay for dinner. 

Sigh.



But, on the flipside, during the trip I was mentally preparing for a meeting I had coming up at a publishing house I really want to work for. They usually ask you about what you’d publish for their list if you had the chance, so I’ve been thinking about all sorts of book ideas. I came up with a title ‘No Man + No Mortgage = No Worries’ because I want that to be my brain space from now on instead of freaking out about turning 34 and focusing on what I think is missing from my life rather than the awesome stuff that has been happening (Oprah would be proud).

And there definitely is awesome stuff going on. I had my birthday dinner and had a bunch of my closest friends come along. Awesome. I had a dream come true and was given a Le Chasseur French cooking pot for my birthday. Awesome. I finally went on a much talked about holiday with 2 of my closest friends. Awesome. I just bought the winter boots I’ve been lusting after. Awesome.



So, from standing back and checking my life out, it’s all good baby, baby, so what the hell am I worrying about a dudeless void for? Right?
 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts