Writing about surfing all day and getting paid for it = WOAH

The Goldie, the GC, the Coast
So about a month ago I started writing and doing social media about surfing full-time. Woah.

This has been part of my game plan ever since I started surfing three years ago, so to have my first day on the job at the first event of the ASP World Tour of the year, getting paid to write about pro surfers and surf fashion I was feeling simultaneously stoked and completely freaked out.

Just out the window of the makeshift office were the bikini clad crowd
First, everyone I had to work with was friendly, chatty, smart and male. Tick.

Hard at work watching, writing, talking, tweeting, blogging, posting surfing
Second, I had a 'crew' wristband so I was in close proximity to the pro surfers and even met a few. Tick.

Oh hey there, Kelly Slater, pleased to meet you. (unfort, this was as close as I got to Dolphin Eyes)
Third, I was asked to write daily blog posts on the surfers, the comp and the majority of the feedback was 'Yeah, cool. Sick. Publish it.' Tick.

Frrrraaaaaaa-othing. View from my apartment. The comp site is across the road.
The only bummer was I had to start in the Torquay office the day the semi-finals started so missed the climax of the whole event because of three lay days of no surf (but I still managed a surf - a whole other dramatic story). But that's the thing with surfing comps, even by the power of 51 He-men and She Ras, the ocean still does whatever it goddamn pleases. And that's why we love it.

Bumped the exposure knob of my Lomo in my bag and this happened - I kinda like it. Spectators on Snapper Rocks.

Comments

Popular Posts