Dame esse cinco!


 Dame esse cinco!!
Over winter I was doing private Spanish lessons with one of my besties and every time we got something right we would hi-five across the table much to the bemusement of our teacher. We would have our lessons at a bar so after sharing a bottle of wine the hi-fives would become a recurring event. I asked the teacher how to say ‘hi-five!’ in Spanish and he told us it was ‘Dame esse cinco!’ So I was saying it with gusto for weeks until a Spanish speaking friend explained that it translates as ‘Give me those fives’ rather than simply ‘Hi-five!’ I love it.
In celebration of my new job I have bought a new board. I went back to Zak’s last Friday and as I walked in with Uglybetty under my arm Tim the other surf shop dude piped up and said ‘Ohhhh so you’re upgrading to a shorter board now that you think you can surf, hey! Look at you!’ I explained that no siree that wasn’t the deal and I hated the friggin’ flowers and I was still crap and to hit me up with a bigger board, STAT.
Zak took me on a tour and pulled down this white beauty which was more like a boat than a board. He looked me up and down then looked at the board then looked me up and down and looked at the board and said, ‘If you can’t surf this, come back and I’ll sell you a boogie board’. I was all ‘Dude! The pressure!’ but secretly digging the tough love. Tim was now playing good cop and said, ‘Don’t worry, mate, surfing is hard’ and I said I know then leapt into a half squat (what I call my booty stance) and flexed my arms and said in a high-pitched slightly hysterical voice, ‘And I’ve been training allll winter! Swimming! Bike riding! Yoga! Dancing! Why can’t I surf yet??!’ By this stage there were a few other dudes in the shop looking at me flexing my arms so I slowly gathered myself together tucked the giant boat under my arms and off I went.
 Still warm!
Saturday encapsulated what my life should be like all the time (with the welcome addition of some man love thrown in). Stopping at my favourite bakery for straight out of the oven blueberry danishes (I burnt my mouth on the blueberries) I picked up my surfer baberooney and hit the road. The length of our boards meant that they sat in between the driver and passenger seats so it was more like being in a confessional box than a car. The benefit though was we were able to absolutely go sick on the singalongs. I knew she was finger waggling and arm waving as much as I was (I have perfected how to do this and drive at the same time).

 
This song got a lot of air time on the drive

 The waves were a perfect little 2ft for us groms and we were the only people in the water. Freakin’ awesome! Off we waded/paddled/waded into the water and I excitedly paddled into some white wash and before I knew it was standing and cruising in the surfing version of the booty crouch. I’m sure the whole of Anglesea could hear my ‘Woohoooooooooo!’ all the way into shore. Thinking it might have been a fluke I tried it again and after two hours I was shouting all the clichés, ‘I’m in love!’, ‘Nothing else matters!’, ‘This is what life is about!’ with gusto.
 Frothin' up!

I was only dumped twice and my surfer baberooney friend had tears streaming down her face as I looked like Animal from the muppets all hair and arms being tumbled around. I have a sweet as bruise on my arm I’m quite proud of.
 Yeeeeeeeeeeeah!

The post-surfing high is the most amazing feeling ever. We were so pumped and hi-fived and leapt around the car park air punching and doing a quick photo shoot. Followed by my next favourite activity. The post-surfing eating. There were smoothies followed by sandwiches at a gorgeous Lorne property with the man mountain and his mates. More hi-fives and board stroking was to be had.
 Tastiest sandwich with a delightful view

Don’t get me wrong I still believe I’m “surfing” as opposed to surfing but I know now that by the end of summer I’ll be gidgeting my arse off. I’ve been workshopping my surfing attire and think I have it down – leopard print va-va-voom bikini top and ruffly bikini bottoms are a must. I told this to Zak and Tim yesterday and they requested I let them know where I surf so they can come and watch. Sure thing, boys.
When I walked into the surf shop and they both asked me how I went I said nothing but stuck my hand up and hi-fived. Tim unzipped the board and looked at the board then looked at me then looked at the board then looked at me and said, ‘You’ve already named it, haven’t you?’. Funnily enough, I had. ‘She’s called dame cinco and I’m in love!’ I replied. Zak gave me a killer discount on her and said, ‘Listen mate, for an extra fifty bucks I can spray paint some pink and purple flowers on it. Whaddya say?’ Smart arse.

 Dame cinco!!

Comments

  1. Dame esse cincos for ever, you are my favourite surfer babe xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovin' the sound of the surf get up for summer! I wanna know where I can find you too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts