Indo time and the 9ft & Single Logfest

Round 1 of the heat and it's already Bingtang o'clock
Well, I now realise why Australians love coming to Indo so much. It is mighty fun. Besides an incident with a scooter and a ditch on Sunday which has resulted in 10 bruises (one as big as a dinner plate) some cuts and walking sloth-like, I'm already thinking about my next trip.

The comp set-up. Super el rancho relaxo.
The 9ft & Single Logfest brought much joy (and the closing night party brought much dancing). We have met many delightful peeps. An early 20s Fullbright scholar, a good country boy with an odd nickname, a sponsored surfer, an investment banker turned accessories designer, and surfer ladies so inspiring, I feel motivated enough to burst.

Classy moves
The funny thing though about coming to the Temple of Enthusiasm is that because I've been following all their activities on social for ages, I felt like I knew it so well, I was a part of it. But I soon realised that by double-tapping your screen does not make you part of a tight knit community. It's obvious but still kinda took me by surprise. And because I'm shy I didn't want to waltz up to Harrison Roach, Kassia Meador or Thomas Bexton - all of whom seem lovely from afar - and start chatting away. Maybe more fool me, but I did feel like I was watching the cool kids. The classic Cold Chisel song 'Standing on the Outside Looking In' I used to sing to myself when I was the new kid at a high school was ringing in my ears.

My favourite quote of the day from this little commentator - 'Thomas is killing it! Cutback! How do you even do that?!'
But, the Logfest competition on Sunday morning was ah-may-zing. So much style! So much nose-riding! So much talent! And possibly the youngest surfing commentator in the world. Only two ladies were in the comp, and they surfed their arses off (big hi-fives), but I'm hoping there will be more ladies next year. And in another 20 years or so, maybe I'll be good enough to enter.

Yeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww!

Comments

Popular Posts